Normally, snacks are a small bites that should be eaten between one meal and the other to keep our metabolism active but nowadays they have become something else. Not only we look forward to our snacks but we crave them and we think they can help us with stress or hunger.
Since the very beginning of our life we are taught that food is a pleasure and for this reason most of us tend to have a very strong connection between emotions and food. Some of us have a salty tooth and some others have more of a sweet tooth…but at the end of the day we all love our snacks!
At Figurella we always recommend our clients to have 3 meals a day plus two or three snacks: mid morning, mid afternoon and after dinner. For the last one we normally suggest to have a hot herbal tea and nothing more but for the rest of the day we have a lot of suggestions that we are going to list in this blog.
Snacks are very important and the goals of snacking are:
- Give your body an energy boost when glucose level is getting low.
- Prevent overeating. Not eating all day and then eat too much at dinner is not the solution.
- Intake more nutrients. Snacks need to be healthy and good for you!
Said that, let’s dive into some snacks ideas.
Keto Friendly Snacks
- Lettuce and prosciutto wraps: take a lettuce leaf and put on it a slice of prosciutto or ham, wrap it and clip it with a toothpick. 2/3 of them make the perfect snack!
- Parmesan cheese: 1/2 little cubes of parmesan cheese can feel you up and give you that boost you needed. It is reach in calcium, vitamin A, vitamins B6 and B12, phosphorus, zinc, and copper.
- Yogurt: full fat, greek, plain yogurt is reach of probiotics, protein, calcium, vitamins.
- Cottage & sunflower seeds: mix 3 tbsp of cottage cheese with 2 of sunflower seeds and add a tsp of olive oil. Stir and it’s ready!
- Air fried-kale chips: mix kale and olive oil together, add a little salt and pepper, toss. Transfer to the air fryer basket. Cook on 360°F for about 5 minutes. Check often to avoid burning the leaves.
- Fruit: some fruit is allowed in keto, this means that in limited quantity it won’t surpass the daily intake of sugars/carbs. Figurella suggests: 2 slices of cantaloupe, honeydew or papaya, or 1/2 cup of berries.
- Coffee with milk. Not hungry? Have a black coffee but add a little bit of milk to allow your body to process something.
- Celery sticks & cream cheese: Philadelphia plain is pretty light and if you deep a couple of celery sticks in it you’ll be satisfied!
- Sorbetto. Yes, made in italy! You can easily make it with shaved ice and pure lemon juice. Stir and get refreshed. Need some sweetness? Use stevia or monk fruit.
- Avocado: half of it with olive oil, salt and pepper is delicious reach in fibers and healthy fats.
- Boiled egg: easy, quick and rich in vitamin B2, selenium, vitamin D, B6, B12 and minerals such as zinc, iron and copper.
- Cucumber salad: cut a cucumber in cubes and mix it with olive oil, salt, pepper and maybe some oregano for a refreshing and healthy snack.
- Green smoothie – choose between:
- Green veggies: celery, cucumber, spinach, kale…
- Liquids: water, milk (full fat, coconut or almond – unsweetened).
- Herbs: cilantro, parsley, oregano, mint
- Seeds: flax, chia, hemp.
- Other: ginger, spirulina, turmeric, cinnamon
Other than eggs, avocado, blueberries and the green smoothie, there are some other non-keto friendly snacks that are very good for you.
- Almonds: watch the quantity! 5/7 are sufficient.
- Fruit: any fruit is a great snack reach in vitamins!
- Home made juice: oranges are great for you. There is no need to add anything to it.
- Dark Chocolate: just a square to satisfy your sweet tooth.
- Yogurt bark: freeze yogurt with fruit on top and break it up!
Figurella Nutrition Plan
Figurella includes in the package a very convenient service which is the nutrition counseling. Your team is going to give you a plan based on your needs and goals that allows you to get to your body goals faster. We are what we eat and even if Figurella is an amazing method and very effective, nutrition is definitely a big part of your results.
Committing to our nutrition plan is very beneficial because, not only you can lose weight and work on your water retention, but also you can truly boost your metabolism. How? Healthy, balanced and frequent meals.
Eating every 2/3 hours makes a huge difference in how your body learns how to process foods. This change in habits and the improvement in the water intake is already enough to see a metabolic improvement but Figurella also provides you with specific lists of what to eat and not to eat and organized time tables to re-introduce all the foods and macros at the right speed.